Thursday, June 25, 2009

My Scattered Michael Jackson Thoughts...


My God. He was my hero. As a child I had his "doll." I'd call it an "action figure," but it was a male Barbie with glasses, tight pants, a glittery jacket, and a sequin glove. It was a doll. But I made that doll dance dammit!!! Michael Jackson is a BIG reason why I got into radio. As a small kid I heard all the great jocks talking up Michael Jackson songs. I would tape them and mimic them. He made me love music, and things larger than life, and in turn radio. I have had the great fortune of interviewing a lot of the current stars in music. Many of them I asked about Michael's farewell comeback concerts. The opportunity was there to criticize or poke fun... and NONE did. Michael is truly respected in the highest regard even with today's artists. Being on the air today when it was first announced that Michael had a cardiac arrest was surreal. I don't like dealing with serious issues on the air. I don't consider myself good at it. But I felt it necessary to make note that he was taken to the hospital. Ten minutes after I made that announcement on the air, TMZ reported his death. To be in this spot, to have to report in your own words and voice, the death of someone who meant so much to the medium you work in and to pretty much EVERYONE listening was very rough. Not to mention my own sadness over the sudden loss of someone I put on a pedestal as a child. Michael Jackson will always be the King of Pop. There will always be comparisons -- as with Usher and Justin -- but I don't think there will ever be another Michael Jackson. His loss, at the young age of 50, is very very sad. The same people of all ages, races, and religions he brought together with his music will be each others support.

No comments: